A lot of us get CDs in the mail from tax companies or AOL, etc. Instead of throwing these away, you can use them in many creative ways. Here are a few:
- Use them as a frisbie for your dog. This is a fun thing for your dog to do and will provide lots of exercise. The down side to this is that your dog will think that any CDs or DVDs he sees are fair game so be aware!
- Use them as an art project for your kids or volunteer to host one for a nursing/assisted living home. Both kids and adults will have fun with this. You can create many interesting things using CDs or DVDs. The circular shape is great as a starter. One of the things I have done in the past is make fish hangings with the CDs. You just need construction paper, felt or foam in bright colors, glue & scissors. Let the artist's mind be creative. The picture below is from Make: technology on your time. They used a CD Rom for their fish body.
- You can make coasters out of them. All you need to do is use a hot glue gun to seal the center so condensation doesn't go through the center and get your table wet. Another great way to do it is to use plastic lids from canisters and hot glue them to the CD. This provides legs for your coasters and seals the hole in the center of the CD. For the pictures below, I used the blue lid from a Gerber Graduates canister and glued it to a CD.
- Collect them and turn them in for money. There are several stores that will accept recycled products for money. One that is local to me is called "Leftovers". They will give you in-store credit for items that you donate. You can then use that in-store credit to get supplies for your child's or other craft projects! My mom and I love this store, check it out!
- If you have CDs or DVDs you no longer need, you can trade them at a resource called SwapaCD or SwapaDVD. They will allow you to post your gently used CDs or DVDs to receive credits. You can then use these credits to request CDs or DVDs from others. You can sign up by clicking on the images below!
- You can use them as a backdrop or curtain. All you need for this is string or fishing line. You can then tie them together with fishing line and hang them from a wall or doorway. This makes a very retro wall or room design! The below picture is from ThriftyFun. They used other beads to fancy up the CD curtain a bit.
Do you have a creative idea for using old CDs or DVDs? Be sure to post it here if you do! How about a re"cycle" idea. I would love to hear some of your ideas. If you email me a great one, I will feature it here!