Sunday, April 5, 2009

How to Compost

Did you ever wish you could do something other than throw away all the fruit and veggie scraps that you get from cooking? I did. I recently heard about composting. I actually saw a commercial for a kitchen composter. It was very expensive but I thought the idea was awesome! I decided to put together a little of what I found while researching the topic.

Easiest Homemade Composter:

  • Use a galvanized metal trash can. You will need to drill several holes into it and it will need a tight fitting lid. You will also need to dig a hole in the ground.
  • Use a plastic storage container with tight fitting lid. You will need to drill holes in this as well. This can be for indoor or outdoor use. This can also double as a seat!
  • Click here for how to make them.

What Can Be Composted:

  • Vegetable Scraps
  • Grains
  • Pasta
  • Fruit Rinds
  • Fruit Peels
  • Breads
  • Coffee Grounds & Filters
  • Tea Bags
  • Paper Towels
  • Paper Napkins
  • Toilet Paper (not soiled w/ human waste)
  • Paper Plates (no animal products on the plate)
  • Leaves
  • Sticks
  • Grass
  • Other yard waste

What Cannot Be Composted:

  • Any animal products
  • Meat
  • Fish
  • Poultry
  • Cheese
  • Oily Foods
  • Butter

Here are a few resources that I found very helpful:

Do you compost at home? What do you use as your compost bin? What have you found to be benefits/negative of home composting? Please share any ideas on the subject that you may have. I hope to start this process soon so any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey riannon,
Thanks for this excellent composting idea. I used to do compostin winter in the exact spot i would grow vegetables in summer to make use of that spot and make some homemade compost which has more nutrioin value than the store bought because it sits on store depleting nutrition .
I think the animal matter, any kind of fat, cooked food(to keep away small critters)also treated grass is not good for composting.
I do love reading your blog, keep up the good work.
Shobhna Mehta

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

blogger templates | Make Money Online